Baby, we were born to ride!

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Interlaken

Arriving in Interlaken (visible here) we realized that we were only barely ahead of the rain, as we could see ominous storm clouds on the horizon. We found a campsite very close-by (in fact, a very scenic campsite right on the river connecting the two lakes from which Intelaken gets its name), set-up our still damp tent and settled in. Thankfully, the campsite was connected to a hostel where we could use the kitchen and cook indoors. Sure enough, the skies opened soon after (as you can see from the series of photos below).













The rain continued pretty solidly throughout our stay in Interlaken, which put a damper on most of our plans for the area. We had one day of decent weather, during which Jodie decided to go for a hike and I decided to tackle a nearby pass. The ride was pretty flat for the first section, while I rode along a beautiful blue lake.





Once I had passed through the town of Meiringen, the road began to climb steeply. You can see some of the incredible switchbacks on this road here. I was riding at this point without any bags or panniers, so the ride felt comparatively pretty easy. Nonetheless, I couldn't make it up to the top. I made it about three-quarters of the way before approaching darkness and more rain clouds persuaded me to turn around and fly down (in about a tenth of the time it took me to make it up).




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home